Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Trip to the Puppy ER

Last night when I got home from work I did the usual things -- changed my clothes, put on my shoes and let the dogs out. It was at this point I noticed something odd about Bode, usually he runs from his kennel this time he just sat there. This is where I should probably give you some history -- about 3 weeks ago Bode cut the back of his paw open and had to get surgery on it when it wouldn't heal. On Sunday he ripped these stitches, so I have been wrapping his leg to give it a chance to heal. Yesterday while I was at work he had tried to take the wrap off, somehow getting it caught in the side of his kennel. When he did this it pulled the wrap really tight around his leg cutting off the circulation! So back to him just sitting in his kennel, I looked down and realized the wrap, then I realized his poor foot was DOUBLE the normal size, bright red/blue and oozing gross stuff -- Sam into freak out mode! I ran and got a knife cut the wrap off his leg. Poor guy couldn't even put any weight on his leg, but for some reason being the happy boy that he is still had a smile on his face. I promptly called the vet, but they were unable to get him in -- it was almost 6 at this point. So I frantically called my mom and Mike over and over till one of them picked up their phones. I got permission from Mike to take Bode to the ER, so off we went. The ER Doctor was wonderful, she was very gentle and you could tell that she had a real love for animals. She did an evaluation of Bode, then took him in the back room to get a better look at his paw. He came back with a shaved foot, dragging the poor vet down the hallway to find me. She gave us some pain medication, antibiotics, foot soak, cream and Bode's favorite -- a new lamp shade! This morning he was doing much better, and the swelling has gone down, but it is still pretty discolored. Hopefully he doesn't get himself into too much trouble today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Bode! Good boy!!