Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Greece Wrap up...

I wanted to document my trip and my feelings before, during and after. Maybe I should have started doing this before I left...but I was so busy scrambling to get things together. I think before I left I was really just in shock, I booked my ticket 7 days prior to my departure, so I had a lot to take care of in a short amount of time between work briefings, getting extra hours in at the office, packing, packing and packing. By the time I actually made it on the plane I don't think I had come to a full realization that in a day I would be half way across the world. I have never been too far away from home, the furthest being Florida...so this was a new and slightly terrifying experience for me. I am a creature of habit, I like to have a schedule and familiar things. But with that being said I am also very random and spontaneous. Really who just buys a ticket and leaves the country in a week? (If I would have had my way I would have left 2 days later, but couldn't swing it with work) I think for the first few days of the trip I was in shock, trying to absorb as much of the experience as I could. At some points it felt like a fire hose. I would take time to just walk the streets in Santorini wandering in and out of little shop or sit on the beach with my iPod trying to process all my thoughts and experiences.

It is hard to put into words the things that I felt and realized. But one thing really sticks out, I am so blessed. I am blessed to have a great job that allows me to just take off when I feel like it. I am blessed to live in the US, we truly do not realized what we have. And I more then anything I am blessed to have such a great support system. Between my family and friends (Beck, Steph, Min) I seriously would be lost in my life. It was so hard to go a week with limited to no contact with them. It left me feeling completly exposed. Being in a forgien country with nothing familar or "safe" is a strange feeling. It was very trying for me to not be able to pick up the phone and call my mom.

I have found myself saying so many times in the past year I can't believe how much I have grown into myself, but this experience has changed me. I look at things just a bit differently. I can't really put it into words, but it would be safe to say that I feel like all the "parts" of me are finally coming together. And for the first time in my life I can see what I want more clearly then I ever have.

Greece in two words....Life Changing

1 comment:

Steph said...

Oh I love love love you my Sammy! It was so hard being "away" from you for that long too and not knowing what you were up to each day. I am so glad you did this. Like you said, this will change your life in ways you won't even realize until later on down the road. Good for you for being brave and leaving. You are such an inspiration to me and all those that come into contact with you. I love you forever my favorite Sista!